Tree surgery services will usually be priced depending on a range of factors such as the species, size and location of the tree and the scale of the work required. Competition and demand in the local area will also have an effect on pricing.
Whether you need to cut down a dangerous tree or are simply looking to get your garden tidied up, hiring a tree surgeon can be highly beneficial for lasting results or when you simply cannot carry out the work yourself.
Tree surgeons will typically provide a quote after doing an initial survey, so they can estimate the work needed and costs involved. Check with professionals if they will quote work for you but be aware that quotes may only be an indication of costs an not a final invoice.
Estimating Costs for Tree Surgery Services
There are a variety of things that tree surgeons need to take into account in order to provide a quote for their services:
- Number, size and location of trees: tree surgery services will cost more if you have more trees or if your trees are big. Trees located in certain areas such as near power lines may increase costs as well.
- Diseases and pests: illnesses and pests can increase costs as they can make trees more instable and might require tree surgeons to take extra steps before doing the work.
- Travelling distance: always try to find a local tree surgeon, as travelling from a long distance might be charged.
- Accessibility: when trees are not easily accessible, special machinery may be involved which can increase costs.
How much do tree surgery services cost?
Tree surgeons can charge per hour or day. Typically, the rates for an hour would be starting at £40 (plus VAT) and a day from £200. The rates for a three-man team are typically from £400 per day.
Here are some typical prices for tree surgery services (all prices are excluding VAT):
- Tree felling (single tree): £200 to £400
- Crown reduction (single tree): £75 to £200
- Tree debris disposal: £50 to £150
- Stump removal & grinding: £50 to £300
- Wood chipper hire: £50 – £150 per day or £100 – £450 per week
- Hedge trimming: £40 per hour per person
- Tree survey & evaluation: £250 – £450
Note that additional fees can sometimes be charged by tree surgeons to cover the removal of waste wood or the cost of hiring the machinery.
Get in touch with your local tree surgeons and don’t hesitate to compare quotes to have an idea of the average prices for specific services in your area.